Sunday, August 22, 2010

Smells Like Home

Tonight, as I was sauteing some onions to make fried rice, I remembered how my Mom once told me how that smell always reminded her of home: her mom making dinner for her large family. I thought about it, and told her that the smell of Downy fabric softener reminded me of home: sunning in the driveway after playing in the pool, smelling the exhaust from the clothes dryer pumping out of the house. Fond memories, sigh... (Funnily enough, I don't use Downy. I buy Purex Naturals or Seventh Generation fabric softener, and then don't always use it.)

Anyway, as I was cooking our fried rice, I got to wondering what R's "smell of home" will be. Will it be some food dish I make? We eat international food way more often than American food. Will it be the spices from Indian Chicken Makhani simmering on the stove, or the soy sauce from Filipino Adobo? Or will it be some cleaning product I use, such as Thieves cleanser or the Purex fabric softener? What about the "Peace and Calming" essential oil blend in the diffuser?

Only time will tell, but I look forward to hearing a grown up R sigh happily and then say, "This smell always reminds me of home." <3

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...