Monday, October 25, 2010

Halloween Approaches

I'm running out of time.

I foolishly undertook the task of creating R's Halloween costume this year, because it's her first Halloween and I didn't like any of the store-bought concoctions. I schemed the most brilliant design, bought the most beautiful fabrics, and ever since the beginning of October have been whittling away at this project for an hour every couple of nights. But the hallowed eve is drawing near, and no, I'm not done yet.

I feel sorry for R. My Mom used to sew me the cutest little dresses and outfits. Mother/daughter dresses. I felt like I could ask her to sew me anything and she would (when she had the time, of course). My Mom has the Midas touch of sewing. Me? I've got the proverbial black thumb. I feel sorry for R because I can say with a fair amount of certainty that I will never make us mother/daughter dresses. I do not have the patience nor the proper knowledge of how to read patterns. I have only the most basic understanding of how to use a sewing machine. The flywheel of my $60 sewing machine has broken off because I depended on it so heavily.

Nevertheless, I chose to sew her a Halloween costume. Not without challenges, though. The thin, stretchy fabric kept getting eaten by the sewing machine. Maybe 2 seams were machine sewed, but the rest I have been meticulously sewing by hand. That's why this little baby costume is taking so long. I honestly feel likes it's faster to just take needle and thread to the fabric instead of continually messing with the sewing machine.

I may be running out of time, but I am excited to say that I am so close to being done. I put in overtime on it tonight, working from 9 pm to 1 am (and then staying up until 2 am to write this blog post...). I only have maybe two more seams and a little detail work to finish, and then it will be done. Then comes the scary part: trying it on her. She has grown since I took the initial measurements, but, like I said, it's a stretchy material, so it should (hopefully, fingers crossed) still fit. If it doesn't fit, I'll just have to take a picture of it without her in it: "This was your first Halloween costume, that you never wore." :-p

signature

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...