Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Living Smarter: Homemade Deodorant Q&A

Yes, yes I did make my own deodorant. Does it work? You betcha'.

Let me preface this post by pointing out that I am a pitta dosha. What does that mean? It means my hair is red, my temperament is fiery, my skin is oily, and... my pits stink. ^_^ Senpai KNOWS when I forget deodorant, and so does everyone else. I used to keep a spare stick in my massage room (back when I had one) just in case I did forget to apply before leaving the house. I think you have an idea of what we're working with here.

Why in the world try making your own deodorant? Because I'm always up for improvement. Yes, store-bought anti-perspirants "control" sweat and make you smell like a field of jasmine or whatever, but they're also loaded with aluminum, leave greasy stains on my t-shirts, and I still smell rank at the end of the day, and certainly by the next morning. I've tried natural store-bought deoderants such as the crystal and other sticks to get away from the aluminum aspect, but they don't help the smell issue much if at all. So when I saw a fellow blogger make her own deoderant, I was thrilled to try it myself.

I found this post back in February. I had all of the necessary ingredients in the house already and made my deoderant stick in about 5 minutes while R napped. It was easy as pie. I wanted to first try the deoderant while the weather was still cool as, remember, it's not an anti-perspirant. I kept it hidden in the refrigerator and applied it every morning instead of my store-bought sticks. I didn't tell Senpai about it. He had no idea that I had read anything about homemade deoderants, had made some myself, or even that I was using it. Not a word until after a full month of me being pleased with the results, and then he was quite surprised to hear of the change. He hadn't noticed, nor could he tell a difference. I kept on using it, waiting for warmer weather to come around before really knowing how I felt about it. Well, the temperature has reached 85 degrees a couple of times and, you know what? I'm still in love with my deoderant.

But what about the fact that it's not an anti-perspirant? Aren't you sweating bullets? No. I'll tell you why. By the time my pits start to trickle, I hardly notice because the rest of me has already been drenched in sweat. It isn't until my whole body is glistening that my pits feel moist, too. And I smell a whole lot better now than I did before with my jasmine covered-up funk. The baking soda, coconut oil, and essential oils really do REMOVE the smells as opposed to covering them up. My brand new t-shirts are not getting greasy pit stains like my older shirts that have been exposed to store-bought anti-perspirants, and I still smell pleasant the next morning.

What essential oils did you add? I threw in a couple of drops of lavender, tea tree, and rosemary for pretty smells and anti-bacterial properties. I forget about how many drops it ended up being. I just remember that I kept adding more until I could smell the oil without having to take too deep a whiff.

What's the downside? There has to be a downside, right? Get ready for it, here it is: I have to wipe off the excess deoderant clumps that stick to my pits with a dry washcloth. Tadaa! That's it. I apply the deoderant after I get out of the shower. By the time I'm ready to get dressed, some clumps may have appeared based on how much deoderant I slathered on. I usually do have clumps more often than not if you're wondering about a ratio. But it's such an easy fix: I just keep a dry washcloth on my dresser-- wipe, wipe-- then get back to picking out clothes.


I looooooooove my homemade deoderant. I hope I've inspired you to try it, too! If you're on the fence, start in the winter like I did when there's less risk. Good luck! Let me know if you have other questions I didn't cover!


signature

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...