Friday, June 15, 2012

Comments


As any new mom knows, it's impossible to take your newborn out in public without garnering comments from passersby. My favorite, from when Rosemary was still an itty bitty preemie, is, "She's fresh out of the box!" I posted it on Facebook to which a snarky friend replied, "She's fresh out of YOUR box." :-p

Poppy is not as tiny as Rosemary was, but people have still commented on her age. One woman said, "She must be a few days out of the hospital!" It was too long-winded for me to explain, "Well, she's a month old, but she did spend most of that time in the neonatal intensive care unit. So in that sense you're right, but, really, she's been home for a week already." I just smiled politely and went back to my shopping.

The comments that bug me, though, and I've gotten a couple already, are the ones making note of my size: "You're so tiny! I'm insanely jealous!" These people have no idea. And, once again, it's too much to explain, so I apologize for inspiring negative feelings in them and move on. Too much to explain that, while pregnant, I logged every meal, every carbohydrate, and had that information scrutinized by a dietician who laid down the law: my breakfast was a tiny cup of yogurt, I wasn't allowed to snack. Too much to explain that skinny isn't always healthy: my body drops weight when my blood sugars get too high because-- not able to utilize the sugar from food without enough insulin-- it has to convert my fat cells into energy.

I don't do it on purpose. It just happens. It's life with type 1 diabetes. And they have no idea.


signature

1 comments:

Lynn Newsom said...

That's so funny. Leslie was just talking about how she has the opposite problem with Eli being so big. He's only 10 months old, but he's the size of a 2 year old. She has to explain to people why he can't walk or talk yet.

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...