Thursday, December 9, 2010

Different / Party

December 8 Beautifully different.
Think about what makes you different and what you do that lights people up. Reflect on all the things that make you different - you'll find they're what make you beautiful.

Different... That topic has been at the forefront of my mind since the in-laws moved in. The ways I am different from this family are many. One of the big ones is that I am a low energy individual, so I do not accomplish nearly as much in a day as the rest of the household. What I do get done are the things that I find to be most important. That may make me seem like a lazy person, but I am not an overachieving neat-freak because I'd collapse from exhaustion if I tried. I wash some dishes, do some laundry, crochet a bit, pump and pump and pump breast milk, and call it a day.

What I lack in gumption I hope I make up for in heart. I have a heart as big as the world: easy to love, and easy to break. I know that my husband loves that about me, I just hope it doesn't drive him too crazy that I can't watch certain action-packed movies with him because I empathize with all of the characters, up to and including the extras being blown up in the background.

Senpai lights up when I look like more than a mom, say, the stylish, confident woman I used to be. R lights up when I genuinely smile. I know I need to do those things more often for my beloved family.

December 9 Party.
What social gathering rocked your socks off in 2010? Describe the people, music, food, drink, clothes, shenanigans.

Umm.. party? After a baby? It's not that bad, actually, we have attended a few gatherings. Senpai had two Christmas parties, one for his work, and one for the military. The work party was most recent, and it certainly took the cake for ritzy location, gourmet food, and fancy dress. I had a good time at that party, but it could not compare with the fun we both had at the military party. See, we like karaoke. Senpai was part of the planning committee for the military party, and they put him in charge of finding a dj, so he said, "Why not karaoke?" Why not indeed. The party started with the usual fanfare: let's thank these people blah, blah, now stand up and go through the buffet line to get your food, everyone vote on who has the worst Christmas sweater or tie, etc, etc... and then Senpai had the balls to stand up in front of his commanding officers and entire unit and sing "Folsom Prison Blues." Oh yeah. He was breaking out the Johnny Cash, and the room was completely silent in awe of what he just did. He was met with applause afterwards, but no one else had the guts to follow him. I did, cause I can, and still, no one else sang. Actually, the room emptied out like lightning after dinner because nobody on the planning party happened to take into consideration the fact that it was a sports heavy night. Take a bunch of military guys and ask them if they'd rather mingle or watch football and you know what the answer is going to be. Senpai and I could care less about sports, so we were having a blast hanging out with another couple. Once EVERYONE else left except for our friends and the staff, that's when the party REALLY started. The dj was great in that he could hear you sing one song and then he'd pull up other songs that he knew you could at least try, if not like. We had the place rented until 11 pm, but with no one there, the staff could have fun with us, singing and drinking like nobody's business. That was the best night of karaoke that I have ever had. My favorite part of the night was when the dj pulled up U2's "With or Without You" for Senpai to sing. I think someone else was supposed to sing it maybe, but they didn't want to and they left Senpai with it. He was doing a good job, but I remembered that my high school band had covered it (oh so long ago!), and I picked up the other mic and sang a duet with him. Our voices just melded in a way that we have not had happen with any other song, and it was so beautiful. Our small audience was just as impressed as we were. It was a truly beautiful moment that capped off an amazingly fun night.

signature

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...