Thursday, January 24, 2013

Lullaby Mash-Ups


Step, step, step.

Soft piano renditions of Beatles' songs played in the background as I circled the dining room table with my sick baby. She was snuggled in close in our baby carrier. It had taken her some time to get comfortable, as has been the case these past few nights. The intense pressure of thickened mucus in her sinuses and excess fluid in her ears had her tossing her little head back and forth, back and forth.

Sick Baby

Step, step, step.

I wrapped my arm around her shoulders and she finally let her head rest in the crook of my elbow, though, of course, the raucous and rambunctious nocturnal play of the cat had her jolting it back up again. "Shhhh..." I soothed, and started up a string of lullabies.

"Hush, little baby, don't say a word..." I sang, over the tune of "Nothing's Gonna Change My World" by The Beatles. And so began our lullaby mash-ups.

Step, step, step.

"See the pyramids along the Nile, watch the sunrise from a tropic isle, just remember, darling, all the while, you belong to me." Lifehouse lyrics melded with "She's Leaving Home."

My feet were tired, my own sick body was weary, but still I paced, on and on, around the table; our sick baby racetrack. Any attempts I made to sit for a moment were quickly protested by my little passenger.

"Tender shepherd, tender shepherd, let me help you count your sheep..." I continued, over "Let It Be," the best melodic combination yet.

Step, step, step.

Hours later, after I had long since run out of lullabies to sing, and the music playlist had run through many times over, I couldn't go on any longer. When I felt she was finally deep enough in her slumber that she might be laid in bed without waking, I turned off the music. The cat had settled down, too, watching from her spot on the floor as we ascended the stairs. Step, step, step.


I'm tired.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...